Archived Blog Posts
Why do wooden floors buckle?
Save your wooden floor by restoring water damage promptly!
Ever wonder why wooden floors buckle? The short answer to that question is- they buckle due to moisture. Moisture makes wooden textures expand. The question that requires more thought process is- where is the moisture coming from? Here are a few examples of what may be the cause of your buckled wooden floor.
- Slow leakage- In some cases, there may be a slow leak that has gone unnoticed and caused damage to its surrounding areas, including wooden floors. Once your floor has buckled it usually has to be replaced due to the wooden floor boards being expanded beyond repair.
- Seasonal Moisture- During more humid seasons like spring, it is a good idea to set up dehumidifiers in areas of your home or business that are more susceptible to collect humidity. Though it would take quite a bit of time for this to cause your wooden boards to buckle up, this is still a possibility.
- Water damage- Water damage is the most common reason that we see all the time that causes permanent damage to your wooden floors. The quicker you assess the water damage, the more likely you are to salvage them from buckling up.
We recommend that you follow your floor manufacturer guidelines when maintaining and treating your wooden floors in order to prevent damaging them. We hope that you have found this information helpful. If you come across any of these issues, please reach out for further assistance. Our team is available 24/7/365 to help and restore.
It might be time to adjust your thermostat
If traveling, adjust your thermostat accordingly.
Fall is an unpredictable time of year for our area, weather-wise. It might be cooler, it might be warmer. Lately, we have been experiencing a gust of cold, and at times warmer weather. It might be questionable to determine your thermostat setting when you leave for the day in the morning, and before bedtime. However, if you are traveling, consider turning on your thermostat at a setting above 65 degrees Fahrenheit. This can reduce the chances of frozen pipes in case the temperature drops drastically, and in turn water damage, while you are on vacation.
A service that you may want to consider around this time is a duct cleaning. It is a good time to clean and freshen up your duct system for the upcoming fall and winter seasons. Our team is trained and experienced to perform this service for your home. Call us today to find out our process. Always remember that through all seasons, your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
The Fall season has begun!
Enjoy Fall 2021 safely, everyone!
This past week we welcomed the fall season! That means pumpkin spice, and harvest decorations have already made their way to stores and local coffee shops. Summer is officially over. On that note, we want to share a few fall home safety tips.
- Exercise candle burning with caution, never leave a candle unattended or burning in the house alone
- Use caution with space heaters, do not place a space heater near fabric textures
- Service your furnace if needed, have it checked for leaks
- Use your fireplace safely, never leave firewood unattended
- Change your fire and carbon monoxide sensor alarm batteries
Most importantly, enjoy this wonderful season in all of its beautiful colors. We hope you find these tips helpful. Always remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Storm damage preparedness tips
We are always here to help!
With upcoming storms headed in our direction, we thought we should share a few preparedness tips. Storms can be catastrophic to your home if not properly prepared. Inches of down pouring rain can leave major damage to your home. Be certain to clean your drains of debris. Cleaning your outdoor drain will give water an exit route away from your home. Also, check your gutters and remove debris if necessary. Remember that water needs a clear pathway away from your home.
Stay safe as we expect a few inches of rain in some areas nearby. Always remember that your local SERVPRO is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.” We are an emergency service, which means we are available 24/7. Save our contact number. (301)933-2425
Do you know your insurance coverage and limits?
Always remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to help!
Did you know that unless you have flood insurance, in most cases, insurance companies do not cover water intrusion? Why do you ask? Well, insurance companies see water intrusion as negligence by the homeowner; the homeowner is responsible for clearing the outdoor drains and making sure that tree roots do not overgrow. Another similar scenario is foundation leaks, this is considered wear & tear and insurance companies do not typically cover damages caused by foundation leaks.
With this week's storms hitting our community as hard as they have, we want to advise you to know your insurance coverage. Understand your coverages. Perform proper maintenance to your property to help prevent wear and tear. Be sure to clear out your gutters and make certain that water has spouts leading away from your home. Clean out your drains. Consider waterproofing services, if necessary. Keep an eye out for the roots of nearby trees. Last but not least, keep your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington’s number handy, we are able to help by giving you a FREE water loss assessment of damages. Always remember that we are always here to help!
Summer greeting from your local SERVPRO
Happy Summer 2021!
We hope that this newsletter finds you well and healthy. Like many other small businesses, we have had our share of struggles and triumphs so far this year. One of our struggles has been staying top of mind and being able to safely communicate with our community. Though we are starting to see the light at the other end of the tunnel, we are still moving cautiously in order to keep our family and friends safe. On that note, we have a few triumphs to share also!
- We have successfully been able to help local worship centers prepare for re-opening.
- Our team has safely cleaned, disinfected, and sanitized facilities throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and continue to do so successfully
- This year, we have hired a total of 2 new team members
- A few of our staff members have pivoted into teleworking and semi-teleworking
Those are all wins for us! We appreciate the continued support and loyalty from our community. We consider ourselves fortunate to have all of you. Enjoy the summertime safely and cautiously, the heat is not to be underestimated. From all of us at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington, have a great summer 2021!
When a storm strikes, we are prepared to help!
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington, your local storm damage restoration experts!
All severe thunderstorms have lightning but did you know that they can also include hail, winds, and tornadoes? The word tornado is as terrifying as it sounds, and the best thing you can do, if you hear a severe storm warning, is being prepared. If you weren't able to evacuate on time it will be helpful to have the items on this emergency supply kit list, see below.
- Water (one gallon per person)
- Food (non-perishable 3-day supply)
- Manual can opener
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust masks or bandanas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags, and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Local maps
- Hygiene items
- Important documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
After the storm, give us a call. We will use our experience to get you back to your pre-property damage condition as quickly as possible. Always remember that SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is your local storm damage restoration expert provider who is always here to help.
Things to know in case of a house fire
Your fire restoration experts are always here to help!
This past week we were called by a homeowner who recently had a fire disaster strike their family home. From this experience and many others, we would like to share a few suggestions on what you should have put together just in case this type of disaster happens to you.
First and foremost important, have an emergency escape plan that everyone in your household is aware of and knows how to execute. It is very important that every family member has an exit route out of every room in your house, including the children and elderly. Everyone must be aware of where the meeting point is once evacuated. Finally, once you are out, stay out!
Another important tip, have your important personal documentation in a safe place. Consider purchasing a fire and waterproof safe, this will keep your documents safe in case of a fire or water damage disaster. Items to keep in your safe are personal identification documents and items of high value such as social security cards, passports, jewelry, etc.
Finally, always have a plan in place in case a fire disaster occurs in your home. Have your insurance agent’s information at hand in case you need to start an insurance claim. Know what your deductible is, this helps you determine whether or not you should place an insurance claim. Have our information handy, we are an experienced restoration provider with the experience and know-how to get you back to your prior to loss state efficiently.
We hope that you have found these tips helpful. Remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
How can SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington help you get your business ready for re-opening?
Is your business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned?
The COVID-19 pandemic has been a challenge for many both personally and professionally. With our State reopening, we question many aspects of what the new normal should be for your home or business. We believe that setting certain processes and contingency plans for your business, employees, and patrons will make the difference to keep our community safe. Here is how SERVPRO can help.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned- This program consists of our expert-level Coronavirus cleaning and disinfecting services. Our team is uniquely prepared and trained to clean and disinfect, per CDC guidelines, to get your business back up and running quickly. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for the cleanup process, and disposal of waste.
If you would like more information on the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned service and how it can benefit you and your business, feel free to reach out to (301)332-0766. Always remember that SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Oh no, a sewage back-up? SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington can handle it!
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is capable of making it "Like it never even happened."
What do you do when you experience a sewage backup disaster? Well, first things first, have your plumber access the backed-up pipeline for repairs. Once the pipe is repaired, call SERVPRO, the #1 professionals in the restoration industry. When dealing with a sewage backup it is important to know and understand that this is what we in the restoration industry consider a category 3 water loss. What does that mean? We are happy that you asked! A category 3 water loss is water that is considered “grossly contaminated” and contains harmful toxins or pathogens. Or in other words, you do not want to come in close to this type of water because it can be harmful to your health. In fact, in this case our team removes all non-porous material such as drywall, insulation, baseboards, etc. in order to remove all contamination. Once we have restored the affected areas, our team has the capacity to perform the reconstruction portion also. If you are experiencing a sewage backup give our office a call, we will be happy to help and make it “Like it never even happened.” Remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.
Tips for a more environmental friendly summer from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Let's preserve our environment!
In our beautiful state of Maryland, we have the privilege to get the best of all seasons. As we look forward to the warm summer days ahead, lets remember that our environment depends on us to keep it thriving. Sounds like a huge responsibility, well, it is. Here are a few tips/suggestions that you can implement for a more environmentally friendly summer season.
- Reuse or recycle: Instead of trashing the food containers in which your yummy lunch came, reuse them the next time you pack lunch. This can help you save money on purchasing food containers. If you truly do not need them, place them in the recycling bin.
- Smart home:In today’s day and age, we are lucky to have the technology to help with our daily struggles. Smart home technology is one that can not only make your life easier but can also help the environment. Programmable smart home thermostats can be used as a tool to help you adjust the temperature in your home while you are out, this helps you regulate your energy consumption.
- Avoid disposables: Planning a party or picnic this summer? Try to avoid using disposable plates, cups, forks, knives, etc. Though it may be easier to use these products, you leave a larger environmental footprint in your path. Consider using compostable disposable plates, wooden utensils, and silicone cups.
- A natural resource:This summer, if you are able, choose to use the sun as a natural resource by drying your clothes outdoors. Using an outdoor clothesline can help by disinfecting your clothes naturally, and by reducing your energy consumption.
- Different means of transportation:Reduce the carbon footprint by commuting differently. One way is biking, this is not only helpful for the environment but also for your health. Another way is by commuting through public transportation, or the bus.
We hope you have found these tips helpful. We wish our community a safe and healthy summer of 2021. Remember that your community partner, SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Spring sprucing up ideas from your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Spring sprucing tips
With spring just around the corner, we would like to share a few ideas on how to spruce up your home. It is time to start putting away the winter spice candles and bring in the spring fresh scents. Below is a to-do list to help you get ideas and thoughts in order to start your spring spruce-up process.
- Clean and dust your ceiling fans
- Dust your registers and vents
- Clean your window blinds
- Wash or dry-clean your curtains
- Wash or beat your area rugs
- Check your fire detectors, replace batteries as needed
- Wipe down the light switch plates
- Put away your winter wardrobe and bring out your spring and summer wardrobe
- Change your air filter
We hope this list gives you an idea or sparked thoughts on how to start sprucing up your home for the springtime. If you are in need of your annual duct cleaning or carpet cleaning, feel free to contact us for an estimate. Always remember that your local SERVPRO is always here to help!
Why choose SERVPRO?
Our team is ready!
There are many mitigation/restoration providers out there which brings to question, why SERVPRO? Well, it’s simple, we are the leader in our industry in more ways than one. We are a Countrywide franchise system, which means that when needed we can pull our resources from all over the Country. One example of this is the current snowstorm in Texas, our team from Maryland was on-site within one week assisting businesses and families in need, alongside other franchises. Another occasion in which our SERVPRO franchises were able to come to the forefront and pivot is when the COVID-19 pandemic struck, we quickly adapted and started servicing businesses and families with cleaning and disinfecting services. These examples go to show that we are always here to help, collectively.
Can salt damage the concrete on your driveway?
Safely remove snow from your concrete surfaces
As we receive the snow and freezing rain this week, homeowners and property managers prepare with salt for the walkways, driveways, and steps/stairwells to prevent falls and slips. Salt is an effective way to dissolve the ice on concrete surfaces but did you know that some salts can damage your concrete surfaces? The answer is yes, especially newly poured concrete. Some de-icing agents can contain harsh chemicals that cause chips or cracks on your concrete, try to avoid said products. Another way to avoid damage to your concrete is by using rubber edge shovels, metal edge shovels can damage your concrete also.
We hope that you have found this information helpful, have a safe and healthy winter season. Always remember that your SERVPRO is always here to help!
Do your part to help stop the spread!
Is your restaurant or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned?
As the spread of the COVID-19 virus continues, we urge business owners and local leaders to do what they can to help stop the spread of the virus. While many restaurants and businesses have learned to follow guidelines from the State and local jurisdictions, we encourage you to keep the momentum going. To our restaurant and business owners, we urge you to continue making social distancing a requirement. Please continue to require that your employees wash their hands several times a day. Also, be aware of your local resources, know that cleaning and disinfecting your facility is detrimental to helping stop the spread.
If you are interested in finding out ways in which SERVPRO can help you, please reach out! We have been providing proactive commercial disinfecting, as well as COVID-19 contaminated cleaning and disinfecting services. Remember that we are here to help and make it "Like it never even happened."
Frozen pipe? Here is what you do!
We are always here to help!
We just received snow, rain, and freezing cold temperatures within the last 14 hours. During these days of inclement winter weather we see lots of broken pipes due to pipes freezing. If this happens to you here are a few tips on how to react.
- Locate your main water shut off valve and turn your water off
- Open your faucets so that thawing water can freely drain and relieve the pressure
- Use either a small space heater or a hair dryer to warm up the frozen pipe
- If you find water damage give us a call
If there is water damage our team will clean, restore, and make it “Like it never even happened.” We are a great resource because we do provide free water loss estimates which help you determine whether or not to place a claim through your homeowners insurance. Always remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Water damage due to broken or frozen water pipes? SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has you covered!
Where is your main water shut off valve?
During the months of January and February we are struck with low temperatures and occasionally snow. When these winter weather events happen we usually do not realize the repercussions that come with it. For example, when the low temperatures kick in our pipes can break and cause flooding. A way to prevent this is making sure that your indoor temperature is set at a 68 degree minimum. Another way is to prevent cold breeze from entering is by sealing areas where cold weather intrusion is possible. If you happen to have water damage due to a broken pipe remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Can ice dams cause water intrusion?
Ice dams can cause water intrusion!
Have you ever seen an ice dam? They look like an icy layer or several layers of ice. An ice dam begins to form when there is a combination of the indoor heat seeping through the roof and there is snow on the roof. Ice dams may cause water seepage inside your home if not removed from your gutters on time. We recommend checking your roof whenever there is a snow storm, make certain to remove any ice that may clog your gutters. If you happen to have water seepage give us a call, we are always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Outdoor Christmas lights installation
Happy Holidays from your friends at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Christmas lights bring joy and excitement to the holiday season. Seeing the talent of our artistic neighbors come to life with their light display is fun and merry. In honor of that we have compiled a few tips for helping minimize damage to your home, and also share safe practices while installing the lights.
- Plan your design and measure the areas that you would like to light up.
- Prepare your lights for hanging. Make sure that the wires are not damaged, they can be a safety hazard if damaged.
- Make sure to look at the lights packaging for clip sizes, do not use staples or nails to hang lights.
- Set a timer for your lights, it is very inconvenient to have to wake up just to turn your lights off.
Remember that safety is key, make sure that your ladder is in good conditions before you start. We wish you all a happy holiday season. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Proper Christmas tree care tips from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
The holiday season has begun and though this year it may be different we still want to enjoy the traditions that come along with the Christmas Holiday. For many of us this will include the Christmas tree. Though as beautiful as it may be with lights and gifts underneath we should understand and actively make an effort to keep your home safe from Christmas tree hazards. Here are a few tips for proper Christmas tree care.
- Plan your tree placement before purchasing, you do not want to buy a tree that does not fit in the desired area of your home. When seeking for the placement area keep in mind that a live tree should not be placed in front of heat outlets.
- Make a fresh cut to the tree trunk before bringing it inside your home. By doing this you are re-opening the stem so that the tree can absorb water.
- Water your tree immediately after placing it on it’s stand. Continue watering your tree daily, keep in mind that dry trees may catch on fire.
- Do not place candles near the tree.
- If you are leaving your home for extended periods of time, turn off the Christmas lights.
We hope that you have found these tips helpful. Always remember that our local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help.
Proper window protection for winter season
Have you ever wondered why cold air seeps through the windows during the winter? Before winter arrives make sure that your windows are properly equipped. By preparing with time in advance you may save money on your heating bill and it may help preserve the condition of your windows. Here are a few steps you can take to properly winterize your windows.
- Purchase insulated curtains
- Refinish the window seals
- Bubble wrap your windows
- Caulking your windows where needed
- Weather stripping small gaps
We hope that these tips help keep your home warm this winter season. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Kitchen fire safety tips from your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Fire prevention tips
Did you know that kitchen fires are the most common cause for house fires? With the Thanksgiving holiday season so quickly approaching, here are a few tips to help keep your family safe from a kitchen fire.
- Never leave the stove unattended while cooking
- Use a timer to remind you when your meal is ready
- Do not leave anything flammable close to the stove while it's turned on
- Keep children away from the stove while cooking
- Do not use water to cool down hot oil
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby
At SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington we want to wish you a safe Thanksgiving holiday celebration. Always remember that we are here to help!
How to prevent water intrusion
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington, your water mitigation specialists
Did you know that most insurance providers do not cover water damage due to storm water intrusion unless you have flood insurance? Did you know that you have to live in a flood zone to be able to purchase flood insurance? Or did you know that water intrusion in considered a category 3 water loss? In all cases water intrusion is never a good thing, we know! Here are a few tips to prevent water intrusion in your basement or foundation.
- Create a flood barrier using sand bags to prevent water intrusion from basement doors.
- Improve outside drainage by unclogging your outdoor drains periodically.
- The overflow of water due to a clogged gutter can cause pressure to the foundation. Periodically cleaning your gutters can prevent damage to your foundation, which may cause water intrusion.
Remember, should you need assistance after water intrusion, we are always here to help. Your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington can make it “Like it never even happened.”
Restore Vs. Replace
SERVPRO, your disaster mitigation specialts
SERVPRO’s purpose is to successfully restore a facility after it has been damaged from water, fire, or mold. We restore instead of replace because we want to reduce the carbon foot print as much as possible. By doing this we also preserve the original structure of the facility. We also minimize the costs; it is much more costly to replace than it is to restore. Aside from the financial standpoint, restoring also saves time, time is a very valuable asset to a homeowner. We are able to restore by using our equipment and knowledge to bring damaged property and belongings to their pre loss condition. We are trained by the IICRC, this organization oversees our industry. If you would like more information, give us a call, we are always here to help!
Soot damage? Call your local SERVPRO!
Soot damage? We've got you covered!
After an unfortunate event like a fire you are left with terrible damage. In some cases you are left with soot and other damage. If soot goes unattended or is not cleaned properly tiny soot particles can be inhaled deeply in into the lungs. These tiny particles can cause severe respiratory illnesses such as asthma or bronchitis. As professionals in the restoration industry you can trust that we will clean and restore your home and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Preparedness month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Preparedness month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
This month we focus on preparing you, our community member, for disasters like flood, fire, mold, or bio-hazard. As industry experts we feel that our input is valuable and important to help insure that when disaster strikes, your employees, and your family members are prepared. When putting together an “emergency ready plan”, we suggest you involve everyone, even the little people.
Questions to think about when putting together an emergency ready plan:
-How will I receive emergency alerts?
-What’s my shelter plan?
-What’s my evacuation route?
-What’s my family communication plan?
-Do we have the essentials in case we have to shelter in place?
-Know where your main water shut off valve is, in case you have a broken water pipe.
-Prepare an evacuation plan with a map.
-Make sure that everyone knows every detail of your emergency ready plan.
-Keep a fire extinguisher in your home or business.
-Keep sand bags to create a water dam in case of heavy rains. This will avoid water intrusion through basement doors or basement windows.
We hope you found this information valuable. If you would like more information, feel free to reach out, your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Does your business have an ERP?
Prepare with a SERVPRO emergency ready profile
As business owners, we understand that there aren't enough hours in the day to assemble, practice, and execute an emergency ready plan for your business. We are here to help! Your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is available to help with planning in case disaster strikes. An emergency ready plan includes all of your essential contact information like utility information, landlord contact info, insurance policy numbers, etc. Your profile will come complete with pictures of emergency exits, emergency shut off valve pictures, and a picture of the front structure of your facility. We believe the this profile is valuable to your business because it gives you an advantage to restoring if disaster strikes. Call today for more information.
Facts about your carpets and how they can affect your health
Your professional carpet cleaners!
As we go about our day-to-day, we sometimes forget that there are certainthings in our home that require special care. Our carpet and area rugs are one ofmany. Simply vacuuming does not cut it, my friends! Throughout time ourcarpets collect debris, dust, soil, and germs, among other things. For a familymember with allergies, a dirty carpet may cause their symptoms to flare up.There may be certain areas in your home that are not as high-traffic as others,those areas should be cleaned once every 12-18 months.
What can I expect from a SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington carpet cleaning?Well, first and foremost, a clean carpet once we’ve completed it! Our carpetcleaning service consists of stain removal treatment, washing, cleaning, andsanitizing the areas requested. Due to the unprecedented time that we are livingin now, we are also performing a complimentary disinfecting service on carpeted
areas that are being serviced. Our team will service your home with appropriatepersonal protective equipment in order to keep themselves and your family safe.You can expect a trained, and experienced team from beginning to end.
Call your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington at (301)933-2425 for aquote today!
Protect your gutters from ice dams
Ice dams can potentially cause water damage!
Icicles can be a sign of an ice dam on your gutters. You may ask yourself, how does that affect my home? Well, the dam build up on a roof can cause water to pool behind it and leak into your home. Also, melted water from the warm roof can back up behind it, flows under the shingles, and into the house. Below are a few tips to help prevent an ice dam in your gutters during the winter weather ahead.
-Add insulation in your attic
-Remove attic heat sources
-Insulate attic access door
-Check the exhausts
-Check flashing around chimney
Keep in mind that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened."
Are you flu season ready?
Are you flu season ready?
At SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington, we're not just concerned with the health of your home but also with the health of our clients. Especially, during the flu season, so here are some information and tips for understanding and knowing how to handle the flu from the Red Cross.
Influenza, also known as the flu, is a contagious respiratory disease caused by different strains of viruses. In the United States, there is a flu season that begins every fall and ends every spring. The type of flu people get during this season is called seasonal flu. Flu viruses spread from person to person when people who are infected cough or sneeze.
What should I do to avoid getting sick?
Get your flu shot every year for the best chance of protection.
- Always practice good health habits to maintain your body’s resistance to infection.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Exercise daily.
- Manage stress.
- Get enough rest and sleep.
- Take these common sense steps to stop the spread of germs:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid or minimize contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with tissues when you cough and sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
- Stay away from others as much as possible when you are sick.
Do I have the flu?
The flu usually begins with the rapid onset of high fever and body aches. Be aware of other common flu symptoms:
- Extreme tiredness
- Sore Throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea (more common in children then adults)
If you have, or know of someone who has these symptoms, reach out to your healthcare provider. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to help! We wish you a healthy beginning of the year!
Does SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington offer commercial services? Yes we do!
No job too big, no job too small!
From Carpets to Catastrophes, We've Got you Covered For All Your Commercial Cleaning Needs!
What SERVPRO Franchise Professionals Can Do For You
Fire, Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration: Knowing the types of smoke and their behavior patterns are vital to proper restoration.
Water Removal and Dehumidification: We identify the source and type of water, which determines the proper course of action. Drying equipment controls temperature and humidity, minimizing secondary damage.
Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup: We are trained to safely and effectively clean biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations.
Mold Mitigation and Remediation: We work to control and remediate mold contaminants while protecting your health and safety.
Contents Claim Inventory Service: Accurate inventory helps keep costs low and reduces completion time. We can provide an itemized, area-by-area loss inventory.
Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning: We can inspect your HVAC system and ductwork. Cleaning services can be provided to help restore peak energy efficiency, eliminate offensive odors and improve indoor air quality.
Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care: We use the latest IICRC training as well as state-of-the-art equipment to remove entrapped soils from deep within your carpet’s pile and backings.
Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications: Using IICRC standards for carpet as a guide, We will show you what cleaning option would be best for your carpet’s level of soiling and explain the benefits of soil protection.
Odor Identification and Deodorization: We will find the source of the odor and determine the best methods to neutralize and eliminate it.
Upholstery and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods: Fabrics are inspected to determine the safest and most effective cleaning method.
Time is a precious Commodity. When you need it done right and done fast, call your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for all your commercial cleaning needs. Did you know when your hire SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for maintenance cleanings, you get around-the-clock restoration services built with you in mind? Quality cleaning and quick response – that’s the SERVPRO way.
Can’t figure out how to get the job done? Call SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for all your emergency restoration needs. Because when you experience a fire, water or mold damage in your facility, you need a fast response and the expertise to get the job done right, ensuring your business can get back into operation as quickly as possible. Through it all, you expect the most reliable information and the very best service at a fair price.
SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce business interruptions and recovery costs. SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington can provide:
- Over 50 years of experience as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider.
- More locations for faster responses. A uniformed technician will arrive on-site usually within four hours of notification.
- Quick response time to help ensure the damage in contained and the restoration process beings promptly.
Don't hesitate to contact your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for any of your commercial needs, we are always here to help!
October is fire preparedness month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Are you prepared for a fire?
Do you know what to do in case there is a fire in your home or business? If not, your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has you covered! Below are tips to help you prepare for a disaster like a fire courtesy of The American Red Cross.
- Install the right number of smoke alarms. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1
- Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
Being prepared is a detrimental aspect when it comes to making sure that your family and employees are safe in case of a fire event. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Fall preparation checklist from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Here comes fall!
With the fall season quickly approaching, home owners should consider taking the proper precautions to keep your home safe. Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has put together a to-do list that may give you an idea as to where to start.
- Visually inspect your roof
- Clean your gutters or have a professional clean them
- Inspect windows for possible cracks
- Check caulk around the window frames
- Inspect the siding of your house
- Check the downspouts around your house to make sure they are directing water away from your foundation and driveway
- Inspect trees for broken limbs that may be a hazard to your home
We hope that this list helps you identify potential risks that may affect your home. Remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, If disaster strikes you can count on us to make it “Like it never even happened”.
July 4th safety tips from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
Happy July 4th!
July 4th is a day to celebrate with friends, family, and fireworks! While enjoying such a festive occasion, be sure to keep your family and home safe. Bellow are a few tips to consider when celebrating with fireworks.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.
- Supervise children handling fireworks.
- Soak fireworks in a bucket of water before putting them in a trash can.
- Light the fireworks at arms length and then stand back.
- Do not attempt to re-shoot fire works that did not initially fire.
- Set your fireworks in an open space, not to close to your home.
We hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th of July. Always remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it "Like it never even happened."
Storm water awareness from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
Storm damage? SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to help!
During spring we see lots of flash storms. Flash storms leave catastrophic damage in their path. Rain water is considered, what we in the restoration industry, call category three water. Category three water is considered black water, which has the potential to cause health concerns such as respiratory problems. When a home is contaminated by black water, we recommend that you leave the home until it has been properly decontaminated. Our duty is to properly clean and restore your home and belongings. We believe in restoring instead of replacing. Trust that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington will take care of your home and get you back to its prior to loss condition as soon as possible.
Duct cleaning, the SERVPRO way!
Happy ducts, happy house!
When moving into your new home or simply just to keep a clean home, a duct cleaning is essential. Sweep away bacteria and dust accumulated in the ducts of your new home. By performing regular duct cleaning you potentially extend the life of your HVAC system as well as your ducts. You also reduce chances of health risks that steam from dust, dirt, and fungi accumulated in your ducts. Our goal when performing a duct cleaning is to remediate bacteria, restore peak energy efficiency, and eliminate offensive odors. You can trust that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington will get it done right the first time.
The SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington duct cleaning process:
- We begin our process by using our patented roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the shape and diameter to the ducts. The roto-scraper removes debris and filth before we the vacuuming process begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a collection container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the environmental clean.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and soil.
Call us today for a free duct cleaning estimate! Your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened."
Allergy season in full effect!
SERVPRO is always here to help!
Do you or anyone in your household suffer from allergies? Though the season brings many contributing factors to allergies, there are also causes that may not be related to the seasonal change. The cause may be that your home is simply just not clean. For example, if you have a pet like a cat or dog, cleaning their dander may help minimize your allergic reactions. Another example is dust, dust particles can cause sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion etc.
Aside from allergies, different aspects of your home can cause discomfort. An odor can cause discomfort and or headaches. An odor like mold is not one to take lightly, mold can lead to serious health issues. Take the necessary precautions to keep your family healthy this spring.
Here are a few services that we offer that may help you feel better inside your home.
- A good old fashioned duct cleaning
- Mold Remediation
- Mildew cleanup
- Pet dander cleanup
- Carpet cleaning
Your trusted professionals at SERVPRO ofWheaton/Kensington can help you get nice and tidy this spring. Call us today for more information on the specialty cleaning services that we offer.
Where do mice hibernate during winter? Possibly inside your house!
Biohazard clean-up from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
As we all know, during cold temperatures, we try to stay indoors as much as possible. Have you ever asked yourself, where mice hibernate? Well, possibly inside your house! They also want to keep warm during the winter months. A small sign of a mice infestation can be tiny black feces no bigger than a sesame seed. Bigger signs are holes chewed out of food containers or even drywall. In these cases the best thing to do is to get a pest control provider to come out and take care of your unwelcomed guests.
Your next step is to hire the rite professionals to come and clean the mess left behind. Rodents carry diseases like the Hantavirus, which can cause life threatening diseases with flu-like symptoms. In some cases just breathing in the contaminated dust can make you sick. By attempting to clean after rodent urine or feces you expose you and your family’s health. Call SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to properly clean and disinfect your home. Our team of trained professionals have the experience and the now-how to properly clean and disinfect your home. Trust your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Snow storm tips from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
Protect your property from winter storm damage.
Winter weather is here! It is time to dust off and take out those snow shovels, it looks like we will be needing them today. Although snow is a beautiful thing to see, it can cause damage to your home. Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to help with a few pointers on how to keep your home safe from damage due to a snow storm.
- Remove snow from basement stairwells and window wells, melting snow can lead to water damage and moisture intrusion.
- Drip all faucets in your home continually during severe cold, including kitchen and bathroom sinks as well as shower and tub faucets, to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting.
- Use extreme caution with electric space heaters, keeping them at least a few feet away from anything flammable.
- If you experience a power failure, use battery-powered flashlights and lanterns instead of candles whenever possible.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are any water supply lines in the garage.
Remember your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Categories of Water Contamination
All water losses are different!
Here at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington safety is our first priority. Knowing how to react when you experience a water loss is vital to you and your families’ health. All water poses potential health problems. It is the single leading cause of disease in the world. Understanding the different types of water contamination levels and their health risks can make a big difference in restoration process as well as minimize your chances in becoming sick. This information will help you determine if you need to evacuate the home or not. Below you will find a description of the different types of water contamination categories.
Category 1 – Clean Water: This water originates from a sanitary water source that does not pose substantial harm to humans. This may include broken water lines, tub or sink overflows with no contaminants, appliance malfunctions involving water supply lines, melting ice or snow, falling rain water, broken toilet tanks and toilet bowls that do not contain contaminants or additives.
Category 2 – Gray Water: This water contains a significant level of contamination and has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if consumed by or exposed to humans. Examples of this include discharge from dish washers or washing machine overflows, toilet overflows, toilet overflow with urine, but not feces, and other sources where water has been contaminated.
Category 3 – Black Water: This water is grossly contaminated and may contain pathogenic, toxigenic or other harmful agents. Elderly, children under the age of 2, and people with respiratory issues should not occupy the facility until the building safe. Examples of Category 3 water are all forms of flooding due to sewage, flooding due to sea water or rain fall (rain, natural disaster), and colored water.
Keep in mind that every water loss is different, and determining the type of water category you have is the first step towards figuring out what the next step is. Once we establish the water category we put together our plan of action.
The information above was provided by The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). We hope we’ve provided a better insight on the different water types. Remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Tips on preventing kitchen fires this Holiday season from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
We wish you a safe holiday season.
The Holiday season is like a whirlwind of different activities, the decorating, the gift wrapping, the cooking! Sometimes it feels like there’s so much to do with so little time. Here at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington we understand the meaning of the “whirlwind” that comes along with the Holiday season. We know that a celebration isn’t complete without a feast to share with your loved ones. Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here with helpful tips to prevent kitchen fires this Holiday season.
- Watch what you are cooking! The leading cause of kitchen fires is because the kitchen was left unattended whilst cooking a meal.
- Keep children at least 3ft away from the stove. Enforce a 3ft area perimeter around the stove for your children to avoid. Younger children run higher risks of being burned from hot food or hot liquids on the stove.
- Use kitchen appliances correctly. Follow manufacturer recommendations when connecting appliances like microwaves, crock pots, steamers, toaster ovens, and any other appliance. Connect these items directly to a wall outlet, using extension cords can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- Keep flammable items away from the stove. Keeping the following items away from your stove top can potentially prevent a fire in your home. Common flammable ingredients and items: Flour, sugar, cooking alcohols, oils, paper products, wooden spoons, cloth napkins etc.
Keeping a fire extinguisher in your home is always a good idea. A class K fire extinguisher is most commonly used in the kitchen area. Fire extinguishers should be placed at least 30 feet away from the stove. Always remember safety is the most important aspect when putting together a feast for your family this Holiday season. Keep in mind that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Christmas tree precautions from your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Happy Holidays from your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Though Christmas is a time for celebration, it is wise to be cautious too. Old fashioned Christmas trees were displayed with wax on live tree branches to simulate snow. Since then we’ve grown wiser, and safer. Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is her to help with safety tips to reduce the risk of a fire caused by Christmas trees.
- Be sure to water your live trees, this decreases dryness on the branches. Dry needles and wood are more likely to catch on fire quicker.
- Avoid plugging more than 3 strings into one outlet. It’s best to opt for a power strip.
- Discard light strings that are worn or broken.
- Always remember to turn off your Christmas tree when leaving your home.
- When placing your tree in your home, choose wisely. Make sure that your Christmas tree does not block an exit. Also, try to keep it at least 3 feet away from any heat sources like space heaters, candles, fireplaces, heat vents or lamps.
For this Christmas season keep yourself and your family safe. We hope that you find these safety precautions helpful. Always remember that your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Biohazard and crime scene cleanup from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
We are always her to help, and make it "Like it never even happened"!
There are different types of biohazard contaminants, however all of them are harmful to your health. Weather its blood borne pathogens, crime scene residues, or sewage backups, these situations can pose serious health risks. Your SERVPRO professionals can safely clean and remove biohazardous substances and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Here are a few tips on what you can do in case this unfortunate incident happens to you.
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treatallbodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
After any incident involving biohazard contaminants your main focus should be keeping your family safe. Keep your local SERVPRO ofWheaton/Kensington in mind. We have you and your family’s best interest in mind. Our focus is to get your home or business to its back to its prior state, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Why SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington?
Your SERVPRO superheroes!
Who can you trust when you are a victim of a disaster like a flood, or a fire? When these situations happen you may feel vulnerable, or even impotent. You may ask yourself, who should I trust? Will they have my best interest in mind? The question will then become, why SERVPRO?
- Our team is certified through IICRC for water, fire, mold and bio clean ups.
- We are the leading name in our industry, with years of experience.
- With over 1,700 franchise licenses to operate across the U.S, and Canada, you can believe that we are experienced and trained to take care of you.
- We are a part of a franchise system, but we are also independently owned and operated. You will received detailed attention every time!
- We are your one stop for cleaning, repairing, and managing your loss.
- We work with adjusters! We provide pictures, dry logs, and detailed explanations as to what needs to be done, and what is being done at your home or business.
- We can handle both residential, and commercial losses. With the support of our franchise, we feel confident enough to say that there is no job to big or too small for us.
Remember that having the support of a team like ours can make the difference with how quickly you recover from a disaster. When you think about clean up and restoration, think green, think SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington!
Fall Cleaning tip from your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
What's in your ducts?
Fall cleaning? Is there such a thing as fall cleaning? Is spring cleaning not enough?
Although adding a chore like fall cleaning doesn’t sound like any fun, it can benefit you and your family’s health! A service that we recommend around this time is a good old fashioned Duct Cleaning. Having your ducts cleaned can avoid health issues like allergies. The dust, dirt, and pollen collected in your ducts can cause issues like worsening asthma symptoms. Not cleaning your ducts can also cause stale odors in your home. Cleaning your ducts will remove mold or other contaminants that may be spreading inside your home now. You may ask yourself, how frequently do I need to have my ducts serviced? That depends on a few different things such as, the size of the home, the amount of people that live in the home, and if you have pets or not.
Call your local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to determine how frequently you should clean your ducts, and for your free estimate!
Preparedness Month at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
Where is you main water shut off valve?
Knowing where to shut off your water source in case of a flood is vital. We don’t mean the sink or water hose, we mean the main shut off. If your home is flooding and you can’t find the source, shutting off the main water valve is your next step. By doing this, you avoid further water damage. We recommend that you label your main water shut off valve with clear lettering, like the picture shown above. If you would like a label like this one, you’re local SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington will be happy to provide one at no charge! Keep in mind that we are always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Home Emergency Kits from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington
One of the things we pride ourselves in is trying to help the community by being prepared for a fire or a water loss. We make an effort to spread the word on being prepared. There is no better time to prepare then before a disaster. In this effort we offer free Home Emergency Ready Kits. This kit contains vital information that will better prepare you for a disaster. Below is a list that the Home Ready kits include, along with essential information you should know.
- Emergency Supply Check List
- Home Evacuation Plan
- Home Contents Inventory list for each room
- Family Emergency Communication Plan
- Disaster Preparedness Brochure – What You Can Do
Contact us today for your FREE Home Emergency Kit! We will gladly assist you with any questions you may have. Remember that your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help, and make it “Like it never even happened”.
Home Emergency Evacuation Plan
Get out, stay out!
Are you ready for a fire, if a fire were to happen in your home? Where would you go? What do you take with you? Who do you call?
Most home owners are not prepared for an unfortunate event like a fire in their home. Fortunately SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is here to remind you. Nobody ever expects to be a victim of a fire loss, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare for one.
A home Evacuation plan is a precautionary measure you should review with everyone in your household. It is a sketch drawing of your home including all of the possible exits and escape routes. It’s recommended that you include at least two exits. In your home sketch include all of the rooms in your home, including restrooms. Draw markers like trees, fences, or your mailbox. Each room should have arrows pointing towards the exit route, and towards the meeting place.
The meeting place is where everyone in the household should reunite in case you are separated during the process of evacuation. Keep in mind that during the process of evacuation you should worry about getting out as quickly and as safely as possible, don’t worry about appliances and furniture. Those things are replaceable, you aren’t!
Once you are safely out of your home call 911. They will contact the fire department, police department, and ambulance if needed.
Give us a call for a free sketch sheet for the home emergency evacuation plan. Remember were always here to help!
Did you know that mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours?
Mold spores are all around us! Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which just isn’t true. Unfortunately it is impossible to remove all mold from your home/business, however our mold remediation services can reduce the spore count back to its Natural state.
Here are some tips to help you defend your Home/Business from mold.
- Keep the humidity between 30-60 percent in your home.
- Provide the proper drainage away from building foundations.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear from debris.
- Inspect roof, windows, and other areas where water might enter the building/home and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
- Contact SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington for assistance after a water damage or if you discover mold.
Keep in mind that Prompt mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth which can be visible in as little as 48 hours. Protect your home/business from mold!
Call our highly trained team at SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington to inspect your home/business today!
Fire safety tips from SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington.
See fire? Get out, and stay out!
Did you know that according to The National Fire Protection Association, Firefighters respond to a fire every 79 seconds? Sounds terrifying, we know! Here are a few precautionary steps that may help you reduce the risk of a fire.
- A working smoke alarm in each room can definitely make the difference in your home. The batteries on the smoke alarms should be inspected monthly, just to make certain that the batteries are still intact.
- Make sure that you have a fire extinguisher in each level of your home; Also that every member of the household knows how to use them properly.
- Reduce the risk of a fire outside of your home. You can do this by removing dead trees, shrubs, and debris at least 30 feet away from your home; also by maintaining your gutters, roof, and eaves clear from debris.
- Be sure to keep candles away from curtains, furniture, and out of the reach of children.
Keep your home safe this 4th of July, and remember “We’re here to help” should you need your local SERVPRO!
Careful with that Grill!
Be Grill cautious.
After all the spring showers and flash floods this year it is refreshing to know that summer has begun. Along with hot summer nights come delicious barbecues with a grill. While it may seem like something ordinary, a grill is actually cooking equipment which we should be cautious with. Did you know that 9,600 home fires are started by grills each year! You may ask yourself, what can I do to avoid a grill involved incident? According to The NFPA, “five out of six (or 82%) grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas, while 14% used charcoal or other solid fuel”. Simply changing your methods can drastically reduce the possibility of a grill caused home fire. For more tips and suggestions check out www.nfpa.org . Remember that SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Get out, and stay out!
A kid’s favorite thing to hear is that Schools out. Summer time brings so much joy to children. After a long school year they finally get to relax and unwind. To parents however it brings worry, and stress. Will my children be safe at home? If something happens, will they know what to do? SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington has a few tips for you on having your children prepared in case of a fire.
- Teach your children what smoke alarms sound like, and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from each room, and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan, and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your house at least twice a year.
- Make sure everyone knows how to dial 9-1-1.
- Teach household members how to stop, drop, and roll in case their clothes were to catch on fire.
For more tips and recommendation’s contact SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington at (301)933-2425. Remember we’re always here to help, and make it "Like it never even happened.”
Faster to your Kensington/Wheaton water loss
Let the professionals handle it!
Along with a water loss comes a flood of emotions. You may be confused as to what to do next, or who to call. Here are a few tips on what your next steps should be, and whose information you should have handy just in case you have this unfortunate event happen to you.
First steps to follow for a water loss for clean water.
- Shut off the source of water if possible.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Remove oriental or other colored rugs/books/magazines from wet carpeting.
Whose information should you have handy?
- We recommend you have an Emergency Ready Plan in place with your local SERVPRO location. This will facilitate the process for both you and your local SERVPRO. In the ERP form we have most of the essential information needed to begin the mitigation process for your home or business.
- Your Insurance Adjuster should be notified immediately after or during your loss.
- Your Plumber should be notified if the loss occurred due to plumbing/pipe issues. If the loss occurred due to those issues they can repair the cause of the of the water loss.
Remember that when a water loss occurs you are in a sensitive time frame to be able to recuperate your personal property and prevent further damage such as mold etc... Have this important information ready just in case.Also keep in mind that our goal is to make it "Like it never even happened."
Your SERVPRO of Wheaton/Kensington is always here to help!
Emergency Ready Profile - Phone Application
Emergency Ready Profile - Phone Application
In times of emergency it is crucial to be prepared. The Emergency Ready Profile application is a great step in the right direction of preparedness. Download the application in App Store by searching SERVPRO. You can also login and see profiles at www.ready.SERVPRO.com. The application allows the user to:
- Add multiple location profiles.
- Take pictures of shut off locations for fire sprinklers, water, and gas.
- Add insurance information
- Add local police and firefighter phone numbers
There are many other features within the application. One of the most popular is that of sharing the profile. Once the ERP is finished the owner of the profile can share with anyone who needs to be prepared. Now all your emergency personnel can find the shut off location just by opening their shared profile.
We never hope that you have an emergency in your home or business, but if it does, we hope you are prepared. And like our motto says, we are always here to help!
Bathtub and Dishwasher Overflow
Bathtub overflow: It’s important to make sure that fittings, seals, pipes, etc. are inspected thoroughly to prevent issues such as water damage.
The bathtub overflow drain can be the cause of a leak, even though it is not the first place you'd usually suspect. A water stain in the ceiling below a bathroom is often the first sign of a problem with a tub overflow drain.
Dishwasher Overflow: Is this something you've experienced before? "Why is my dishwasher leaking, where is it coming from?" There are many questionable factors for why a dishwasher is leaking
In these cases, make sure to contact a licensed and trained professional, like SERVPRO, to fix the issue. Our technicians source out the problem and fix the surrounding areas affected by water damage. It's not a fun experience dealing with any type of unexpected home repair, or disaster. However, SERVPRO helps alleviate your stress and turn your home back to a comfortable and functional space. While catching the problem early, it saves time and money.
SERVPRO Duct Cleaning
Do you find that when you are doing laundry it's taking forever to dry your clothes?
Does your Furnace sound like a freight train?
More than likely this is because your air or exhaust ducts are in need of an extensive cleaning and the filters changed out.
When the dust builds up in your air ducts and exhaust system it causes your dryer and HVAC system to work overtime and shorten the life of these expensive items. Not only is this bad for your appliances and mechanical system, it's also a fire hazard.
When to Call Professionals for a Duct Cleaning Service?
- Call when dust begins appearing shortly after cleaning.
- Call when musty or stale odors are appearing when a furnace runs.
Why Should You Call?
- Avoiding an air-duct clean could affect anyone living the house with allergies or asthma.
- Dust, dirt, and pollen are pulled into the air duct system.
- Dismissing an air duct cleaning service could possibly lead room for mold, bacteria, fungus, and mildew to form.
- This will circulate whenever the furnace turns on.
- The services offered removes any mold or other contaminants providing a clean air circulation throughout your home.
- The Benefits of Servicing Your HVAC Unit Include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
Be sure to clean out your air ducts and vents at least once a year in order to keep the airflow in your house clean and safe. Call to schedule an appointment today.
Types of Contaminated Water
Did you know that there are three different types of contaminated water that can cause water damage? The three different types of contaminated water are clean water, gray water, and black water. SERVPRO comes across all of these types of water in the field. Here are the 3 major differences.
Clean Water:This type of water generally comes from a clean source like a broken water supply line or faucet. Depending on the time it has been left, the temperature, contact with bacteria, and surrounding contaminates, this water can quickly become gray or black water. This is the most common type of water damage.
Gray Water: This type of water and water damage can cause discomfort or illness as it likely contains bacteria and illness. When left untreated, gray water will quickly become black water and the water damages associated with black water is much worse.
Black Water: This water and its water damages generally spawn from sewage, biological hazards, or flooding from rivers and streams. If left untreated, it will cause microbial growth, severe illness, and even possibly death.
The best solution when there is any kind of flooding or water damage is to have it treated as soon as it is noticed. Hiring a professional company like SERVPRO is recommended as they can give advice on why the flood occurred, the category of the flood, and how to prevent water damages.
Are you Prepared?
Severe weather can happen any time, anywhere. Each year, Americans cope with an average of the following intense storms*:
- 10,000 severe thunderstorms
- 5,000 floods or flash floods
- 1,000 tornadoes
- 2 landfalling deadly hurricanes
Approximately 98 percent of all presidentially declared disasters are weather-related, leading to around 500 deaths per year and nearly $15 billion in damage. * Knowing your risk of severe weather, taking action and being an example are just a few steps you can take to be better prepared to save your life and assist in saving the lives of others.
How to be prepared:
- A gallon of water per person per day.
- Supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food and a manual can opener.
- Change of clothing, rain gear and sturdy shoes.
- Blankets and sleeping bags.
- First aid kit and prescription medications.
- Battery-powered radio, flashlight and plenty of extra batteries.
- Credit cards, cash and extra set of car keys.
- List of family physicians.
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members.
- Call SERVPRO to get an Emergency Readiness Plan into place for your facility. The plan can help minimize business interruption in the event of a disaster.
Mold Damage can be devastating. Once any sign of mold in home or office spaces becomes apparent, people should always reach out to SERVPRO.
After all, unchecked mold growth can ruin a structure:
Your structure can experience substantial dry rot, mold growth behind walls and other damage.
Office spaces may need to be vacated for significant repairs due to commercial mold damage.
Resale values can decline from commercial mold damage and mold in home spaces.
Mold growth behind wall studs can warp walls. Lingering, foul smells can make extensive deodorization necessary.
How to Know When a Home or Business Is at Risk of Mold Damage?
Due to mold's makeup, it can exist insignificantly in many places. As a result, most indoor spaces contain some mold. For structural integrity, owners and lessees must not allow mold growth to proliferate.
People sometimes confuse mildew with mold. Mildew is a fungus that likes flat surfaces. Often, folks can simply wipe away mildew. Though it is also a fungus, mold growth is very different from mildew.
Here are a few things to look out for if you are suspecting mold growth:
Discoloration on walls, floors or ceilings
Cracks in any surface in your structure
SERVPRO Professionals can provide
Mold fungus mitigation
Deodorization of smelly odors
Removal of dry rot
Expert handling of black mold
Termination of mold growth behind walls
Mold removal services can turn dry rot, smelly odors and other warning signs into memories.
Importantly, total mold removal is an impossible goal. Mold is tiny and abundant, so mold remediation experts carefully cleanse problem areas and help people take steps to prevent the return of mold growth behind wall segments, beneath floor pieces and across ceilings.
Call our professional team for an estimate if you suspect mold growth in your structure.
Hurricane Harvey made landfall as a major Hurricane at Category 4 strength on August 25 causing widespread devastating flooding and wind destruction along the Texas and Louisiana coast. After making landfall, the storm’s track continued through Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee, causing heavy rains and additional flooding.
Flooding occurred across Houston, Beaumont and Port Arthur in Texas. Rainfall totals exceeded 50 inches in Houston.
SERVPRO has mobilized and deployed the Storm Team, and luckily our franchise was chosen to visit Houston TX and help the residents with the beginning stages of their home clean up.
SERVPRO of Poolesville/Clarksburg/Damascus crew members, Luis, Harry, and Thomas, led by our owner Max, made it down to Texas in record time, and did an amazing job. We are so proud to have them be a part of the SERVPRO Storm Team.
Our thoughts and well wishes go out to any one has been affected by Hurricane Harvey. If you would like to help, please consider these options:
Donate money: The best way to help Texans affected by disasters is to donate money to charitable agencies that are experienced in disaster relief. Before giving money to an organization, do your research!
Donate blood: Blood banks have been urging people to donate since demand for blood is rising. Find your local Red Cross and donate!
Open your home: You can offer to provide free accommodations to hurricane evacuees through Airbnb. The service is waiving all fees until Sept. 25.
Adopt a pet: If you’re thinking about adopting a dog or a cat, this could be a great time. Animal welfare organizations in Texas, Florida and around the country are likely to take in pets that have lost their owners. Check with your local animal shelter and adopt!